Insurance and bonding

CDOT is a government agency, and as such they have more stringent requirements than typical commercial contracts. Before you start working on a project, you will need to have appropriate business and auto insurance with CDOT named as an additional insured, and it may be at a higher level than you currently have. 

Review the requirements in the contract and discuss policies with your current insurance provider. Some larger highway construction projects may have an Owner-Controlled Insurance Program (OCIP), and you will need to become familiar with the process and forms required to be in compliance. Check with the prime contractor to find out more about OCIP or review a Contractors Guide provided by the Associated General Contractors of America.

You will also need to have adequate bonding for the level of project you plan to bid on. On smaller projects, the prime contractor may waive or assist with subcontractor bonds. However, in most cases, bonding is a requirement for highway construction contractors. This could be performance, payment and/or bid bonds. 

Connect2DOT can help connect you with surety bond producers, underwriters and other professionals who work with the contractors on a case-by-case basis to assemble a complete bond application and address any omissions and/or deficiencies that might deter the successful underwriting of a bond.